Re: Nusah

Sight unseen, I'd recommend anything Sam recommends, both because he's a
maven and because I've never seen anything else that I thought really
did the trick, in terms of the anything like clear or concise, although
I'm not sure concise is even a possibility with this subject.  Between
Sam's wisdom and the reputation of Syracuse University's Jewish studies
series, I figure on getting the book myself.

There's an article in a recent Ethnomusicology by Mark Kligman of Hebrew
Union College on the way in which Syrian Jews have adopted and adapted
Arab maqam for davening.  Not exactly what you're looking for of course,
but related and really interesting.  It is concise and very well written
and apparently, if you can get to Brooklyn, there are plenty of shuls or
you can hear about what he's written.

Git shabes,

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music