Nusah

Would some list member(s) give a description of nusah -- its history -- when,
where, and how it developed, how standard it is, its variety in different parts
of the Jewish world, its role in Jewish liturgical music, how many kinds of
nusah there are, and how it relates to other musical systems such as trope and
maqam?   Are there any standard works or articles addressing these issues?  Are
there any recommended recordings demonstrating nusah?  (What have I left out?)

Shabbat Shalom v'Hag Sameah (I hope that I got that right.)
Bob

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->