Re: Nusah

Oy!   A lot to say to this, but I'm in the middle of moving (from one city to
another, about to pack up my computer, etc.).   Others will presumably address
some of the things.
Briefly:  It evolves over time;  it does vary in parts of the world (so it's
not *that* standard in the sense of uniform.  While many different things might
be nusach, certainly there are many things being sung that do not qualify as
"nusach" -- too much to explain now, sorry).
There are many sub-cultures (origins) of nusach (e.g., Polish, Lithuanian,
German, etc., in the Ashkenazi world,  and Spanish-Portuguese, Morrocan,
Turkish, Yemenite, Iraqi, etc in the "sephardic" realm).   Many of the elements
of different Ashkenazi sub-groups will resemble others while departing in other
motifs and modes,  same with Sephardic.  But not too much similar between them
(descriptively; analytically/historically some have argued for the connections;
see, e.g., book named "Sacred Bridge;"   I don't know enough).
Maqam (arabic musical modes/scales) had a strong influence on development of
nusach modes (but like the game of telephone, the same Maqam might show up in
Fri night in one sub-nusach, on Sat morning in another, etc.)
Trop is really an entirely different development (some have argued for their
common origin or influence, but aside from individual cantors borrowing
something, I tend to disagree).
Role in liturgical music:  Nusach represents the "davening" parts of a service
as opposed to composed or borrowed "tunes."   As such, even tho it evolves, its
elements are much more ancient than songs.   (For example, some "sacred"
melodies many think are ancient, like the well known Shema, or Shalom Aleichem,
are from the 20th Century.  Torah service melodies, from late 19th century.
But Kol Nidre -- being a composite of the nusach motifs found thruout YK, is
one of the oldest "melodies" around.
There are loads of recordings, which are designed to do different things.  Some
are simply cantors showing off their versions of "Hazzanus" -- with some nusach
in there.  Others more deliberately show nusach (I suspect Sol Wachs' tapes do
this, tho I've not heard them personally).
I make a set of materials, including one tape, that demonstrate the simplest,
most basic motifs and modes that distinguish the different modes of the Shabbat
and weekday services in the (mostly E-European) traditions that are predominant
among American groups that still try to daven with the musical roots of nusach.

It's designed to introduce lay-people, and certainly doesn't address the deeper
and more historical stuff.
Chag Sameach,  Jonathan

> Would some list member(s) give a description of nusah -- its history --
> when, where, and how it developed, how standard it is, its variety in
> different parts of the Jewish world, its role in Jewish liturgical
> music, how many kinds of nusah there are, and how it relates to other
> musical systems such as trope and maqam?   Are there any standard works
> or articles addressing these issues?  Are there any recommended
> recordings demonstrating nusah?  (What have I left out?)
>
> Shabbat Shalom v'Hag Sameah (I hope that I got that right.)
> Bob

This message was sent using Mail2Net.com
http://www.Mail2Net.com/