Re: Nusah

There are no recordings of Kalib's work available.  The currently available
Volume I is divided for convenience into two parts, together comprising a
single volume. Part One has text only, and Part Two has musical examples only.
Looking again at the official description below, I don't know where the
figure "320 pages" comes from; Part One has 277 pages and Part Two has 227
pages.  Kalib plans to produce future Volumes which will be anthologies
accompanied by recordings.  In my opinion a more useful project would have
been recordings of the currently available Volume One, which gives the
theoretical foundation of Nusach.

For those seeking recordings of classical cantorial recitatives accompanied
by matching musical notations (though not always exact transcriptions),
there is only the "Golden Age of Cantors" set from Tara
http://jewishmusic.com/index.asp?FID=3101&ACT=4&ID_Prd={FBEB56B1-5A48-482F-A6AD-C1AD881CFB10}&RND=175737
The book and recordings are also available separately.

Also of ineterest may be the "T'filot Ya'akov" by Jacob Mendelson Book & CD
set, which is a precise transcription of one cantor's rendition of
Shacharit L'Shabbat in the "Golden Age" style.  It's also available from
Tara, or from the Cantor's Assembly  (http://cantors.org/).  The Cantor's
Assembly site also has many Nusach handbook/recordings combinations, though
they are "how-to" compilations, not theoretical discussions.

-S.W.

At 12:37 PM 9/23/02, dchevan wrote:
>I'm sorry to bring up this thread again but I need some clarification.  Do
>the recordings that were transcribed come with second book?  Or, are the
>recordings available separately.  Or, are the recordings entirely unavailable?
>
>David

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->