Re: Looking for Dance Info: "Broyges Tantz"

Helen,

Personally, I don't pay close attention to footwork.  Yes the rhythm
is 1,2,3,rest, which translates into a step, step, step, hold, but
the important thing is the body language.  We do some stamping, when
it suits the actions we are miming, and those stamps should be in the
rhythm of the music, but I wouldn't be as specific as
"step-close-step."  And, pointing the toe could be used to comic
effect to indicate that you are about to change direction, but only
if it suits the emotions you are acting out.

Back in the days when I was heavily into Balkan folk dancing, I
traveled to what was then Yugoslavia.  I went to the village of
Berovo because I had learned a dance called Berovka which was
purportedly from that village.  Some old guys in a cafe showed me
some dances they did which as far as I could tell were completely
improvised.  Some young folks held a weekly dance in a neighboring
village where they learned choreographed dances in the style that the
old guys danced.  The dance I had learned in America was one of the
steps that the young folks did.

Choreographers observe, notate and teach a snapshot of what they see
in the village or shtetl, and this is valuable because they preserve
knowledge of traditions, especially for those who weren't able to
receive it directly.  But in the shtetl, the dance takes life and
changes with the day and the person dancing.  This is my take on
Broygez tants.  It has to say what you are feeling.  Every time Peggy
and I do it, it's a little different. If we did it exactly the same
every time, it would lose its impact.

When I taught it to a group of kids at Camp Kinderland, I told them,
within the basic structure, "act as if you are having a fight with
your best friend", and pay attention to the music for your timing. So
what if you do stamp-hold, stamp-hold instead of step-close-step.
Dance with kavone (intention as when davening).

Gut Shabbos and gut yor,

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band
Colrain, MA 01340
voice/fax: 413-624-3204
http://www.WholesaleKlezmer.com
Please include your USPS address and phone number in your email
signature on all business correspondence.

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),