Re: Looking for Dance Info: "Broyges Tantz"

Peggy and I dance the broygez tants to teach the bride and groom a
lesson about how to deal with anger at many weddings since the
in-laws rarely if ever know how to do it.  It's pretty much as
described below.  The basic structure is that the couple approach
each other on one phrase of music, and turn their backs on each other
on the next phrase of music, repeating that pattern with angry
gestures at each other until one of them turns away halfway through a
phrase so that now they are "talking" to each others backs.  Finally,
one of them turns away slowly enough to see the other approaching
with conciliatory gestures and they make up.  Every couple should
work out their own timing and gestures acting out anger, not-talking
to each other (the kind of anger characterized by the word broygez),
regret, and reconciliation.

We initially learned some of the gestures at our wedding from Peggy's
great aunt z"l who was then in her nineties and had seen it as a
child.  Since that time, we have picked up other traditional gestures
from elders among the audiences where we have performed it.

L'shono toyve,

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band
Colrain, MA 01340