Re: syntax question (liner notes)

----- Original Message -----
From: <ALANEFALK (at) aol(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: syntax question (liner notes)

> In a message dated 9/12/02 11:36:04 AM, AGREENBA (at) aol(dot)com writes:
>
> << Okay, I'll vote:
> "on" sounds right to me. You have recorded pieces onto a disk, on an
album. I
> think a photo album has photos "in" it but a recording as tunes "on" it.
> Adrianne >>
>
> I'm with Adrianne -
> 'on' - even though the grooves on a CD have been laser cut 'in' to the
> plastic! (Just like old vynal records)
> I guess you could equally argue that they are therefore not with 'in' the
> plastic itself but 'on' the surface!   . . . .

Actually, the pits are in a thin plastic layer that is parft of a structure
made up of (from the top) the label, a reflective aluminum layer, a plastic
layer with thepits, and a thicker protective plastic layer.  They are not on
a surface.  Reference:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/cd/mediaConstruction-c.html.
.
senior rambling moment -