Colin Powell and Yiddish

>Colin Powell (who claims to know
>Yiddish!)

OK, I recognize that this is off topic, but I have a first-
hand experience with Colin Powell and Yiddish. My wife and I
bumped into him at a Chinese restaurant in Virginia shortly
after the Gulf War. Never shy, my wife went up and started
talking to him. She mentioned that we were out for dinner
with a Jewish social group and we had heard he spoke Yiddish.
He then immediately switched to conversing in Yiddish. The
ironic part is that my wife is not a Yiddish speaker. So
there you had my nice Jewish wife standing in a Chinese
restaurant unable to comprehend the Yiddish being spoken to
her by the African American Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
Staff. The melting pot at work.

Jesse