Re: Greek Jewish recordings, 1912-1990s

op 29-05-2002 20:51 schreef Joel Bresler op joel(dot)br (at) verizon(dot)net:

> Dear friends:
> A correspondent inquires whether any
>
>> ...commercial recordings of Jewish music were made in Greece between 1912
>> and early 1990s.
>> Does this hold good? But I'd like to mention that in Ottoman Salonica such
>> recordings were made. Just a few examples of recordings in Ladino. Was there
>> anything in Hebrew?

> Can anyone else add to the discussion?
> Thanks, Joel

>> I've lost the Kalyviotis article with an excerpt from the
>> pre-1912 catalogue.
>> Cheers, Risto

>> Dr. Risto Pekka Pennanen
>> Musikwissenschaftliches Seminar
>> der Georg-August-Universität
>> Kurze Geismarstraße 1
>> D-37073 Göttingen
>> Bundesrepublik Deutschland

> Joel Bresler
> Email:          joel(dot)br (at) verizon(dot)net
> ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------

Dear Joel/ Risto, and other list members

In mine collection of Greek music are some historic recordings
that in mine opinion are related to Jewish music.

THE GREEK ARCHIVES
(any way an exemplary serie od CD's)

The Greek Archives 658
Anthology of Smyrnean Songs Vol.I (1920 - 1938)
track 13: ending is klezmerlike
track 20: Trello Chaposerviko

The Greek Archives 659
Anthology of Smyrnean Songs Vol.II (1926 - 1939)
track 7: ending is klezmerlike

The Greek Archives 635
Constantinople in Old Recordings
track 1: Cart Driver &
track 9: Hasapico Dance From Constantinople
These tracks recorded in 1928 in the USA has a real klezmersound.

ALSO very interesting is the repertoire of
Constantinos Gantinis (Gus Gadinis)
reissued in 1993 by LYRA - Falirea 402
(original 78 RPT 1938 - 1945)

track 7: Tsigganisko (Chassapiko)
track 8: Peirastikos Ballos (with terkish rhythm)
track 12: Kanaria (with terkish rhythm)

I hope this will help.
All the best
Cornelis van Sliedregt,