RE: Greek Jewish recordings, 1912-1990s

Thanks, Paul. I'd be interested in the particulars on the Lotz reference.
It might help solve a puzzle.

I believe all the Favorite recordings were made in 1912. Mlle. Rosa
recorded a side for Gramophone in 1911, later re-released on Polyphon and
Zonophone.

"Xanthi Evreopoula" means "Blonde Jewish girl" (I am told) and there were
Greek recordings that actually include snippets of Ladino (Rita Abatzi,
among others, did a version.) There were also recordings of  "Evreopoula"
but I don't know if it's a separate song or the same one. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Joel

At 03:06 PM 5/29/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>Joel Bresler [mailto:joel(dot)br (at) verizon(dot)net] wrote:
>
> >I can't speak to all Jewish music in Greece, just those recordings
>with
> >Sephardic content. Not much, to be sure, and what there was was
>mostly
> >documentary.
>
>Maybe this is earlier, but I think Rainer Lotz's little handbook of
>labels,
>from the early 1980s, has a Favourite recording of Mme. Rosa from
>Salonica.
>
>Spottswood's catalog lists some U.S.-made Greek recordings with titles
>like
>"Evreopoulo..."  I wonder what they are.  Then of course there are
>U.S. Greek
>recordings of Greek versions of klezmer tunes, mainly hasapikos. Some
>may
>be more strictly Romanian-Jewish.
>
>Paul Gifford

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Email:          joel(dot)br (at) verizon(dot)net