RE: Greek Jewish recordings, 1912-1990s

Joel Bresler [mailto:joel(dot)br (at) verizon(dot)net] wrote:

>I can't speak to all Jewish music in Greece, just those recordings
with
>Sephardic content. Not much, to be sure, and what there was was
mostly
>documentary.

Maybe this is earlier, but I think Rainer Lotz's little handbook of
labels,
from the early 1980s, has a Favourite recording of Mme. Rosa from
Salonica.

Spottswood's catalog lists some U.S.-made Greek recordings with titles
like
"Evreopoulo..."  I wonder what they are.  Then of course there are
U.S. Greek
recordings of Greek versions of klezmer tunes, mainly hasapikos. Some
may
be more strictly Romanian-Jewish.

Paul Gifford