Re: women in yiddish song

Hi,

I thought this was an interesting analysis; I was just recently
arguing with someone about the gender of the narrator in Sapozhkelekh; it
was hard to explain what exactly made it clear that the singer is female.

I had one comment regarding Gebirtik's Reyzele, however. The girl in the
song *does* come down to be with the young man:

Gey ikh mir a freylekher,               I walk around happily,
Zing, un knak mir niselekh,             Singing and cracking nuts,
Her ikh oyf di treplekh shpringen       I hear springing down the steps
Ire drobne fiselekh                     Her small feet
Shoyn arop fun letstn trepl,            Already from the last step,
Kh'nem zi lib arum,                     I take her down,
Kh'gib ir shtil a kush in kepl          I quietly kiss her head
Kum, kum kum.                           Come, come, come.

Not only that, but she even allows herself to be kissed! Afterwards, he
tells her "Her, dayn mame ruft shoyn, Reyzl" -- "Listen, Reyzl, your
mother is calling you back already". So they definitely spend some time
together before the girl goes back home.

Asya Vaisman