  From: Allen Davis
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 5:47 PM
  Subject: Re: The golden Peacock/Goldene Pave

  Helen,

  I'm sure you have the introduction to the Ginzburg/Marek song in "Mir Trogn a
Gezang":

  "...The theme of the bitter and harsh treatment of a young bride by her
in-laws is a popular one in Yiddish folk song. The golden peacock became the
poetic symbol of the Yiddish folk song, carrying messages and greetings from
loved ones." (p.106)

  I looked in my copy of the book "The Golden Peacock" by Joseph Leftwich (the
1961, not the original 1939 edition), and found no additional source material
for the image in the introduction. The poem by Bialik is presented in that
collection:

  The golden peacock flies away,
  Where are you flying, pretty bird?
  I fly across the sea,