I received the next note:

From: "Jeff Wollock" <jeff (at) nativecouncil(dot)com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:14:56 -0500

Jen,
  This is the best damn explanation of temperament I've ever read.
And you can tell 'em your husband said so. By the way, it explains
what I said about why a vioinist shouldn't play in tempered pitch
and why it's nice to have adjustable frets.
I-L

>From: "r l reid" <ro (at) rreid(dot)net>
>Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:24:45 -0500 (EST)
>
>Robert Cohen wrote:
>>
>> I'm puzzled:  The Harvard Dictionary of Music, in its
discussion
>of Bach's
>> "Well-Tempered Clavier," says "the name refers to the then
novel
>system of
>> equal temperament."  So what's the difference?--and Roger, what
>did you mean
>> by this playful signature?
>
>The Harvard Dictionaryu of Music should know better.  Bach never
>used
>nor advocated equal temperament.  He *did* use well temperament.
>
>To keep it as shors possible, western musical theory comes from
>the Greeks, who brought us lots of strange ideas like
Christianity.

(Snip)

>Roger "Just say NO to the Twelth Root of Two!" Reid

And about the next one -

>Yay, this is exactly what Aristoxenus said to the Pythagoreans.
Sing a scale and screw the math. Tell 'em I said so. Itsik-Leyb

>From: "r l reid" <ro (at) rreid(dot)net>
>Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:42:29 -0500 (EST)
>
>r l reid wrote:
>> To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
>>
>> There's no reason to tune by fifths if you aren't trying to
>> play music such as European art music of the last 4 centuries.
>> Just play in just intonation (with perfect ratios everywhere)
>> and screw tuning in fifths.
>
>Rereading this, it's got its logic wrong.  Please replace that
idea
>with the question "why is everyone so eager to generate octaves
>by going up the circle of fifths?"
>
>The circle of fifths is a fascinating phenomenon.  I think I see
>the figurative habd of God in that little trick of the fifths
>and the octaves - so close, and yet...
>
>But there are other ways to generate a scale.  One good one
>is to sing one right out and screw the math!

> (Snip)

>r l reid       ro (at) rreid(dot)net

Jennifer Wollock

>---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org