Re: yiddish language decline? (& more on Weinreichs/books, etc.)

p.s.  What did I.B. Singer say?  I think the English translation was
something like,

"Yiddish has been dying for a hundred years.  May it die for a hundred more."
 (Or was it "a thousand"?)

Also - for those who don't know, Bine Weinreich's co-author of SAY IT IN
YIDDISH was her husband Uriel, a great pioneer of Yiddish studies at Columbia
and a student of the great linguist Roman Jakobson [sp?] among others, who
died tragically young in the 1960s. Among other projects, he wrote the most
widely-used Yiddish first-year textbook, COLLEGE YIDDISH.  First published in
1949, this includes language lessons with many everyday sorts of exercises
and readings as well as consciously poignant ones, such as on the Warsaw
Ghetto uprising.

I think it's facile to paint the Dover travel book publication as simply
tragic or absurd.  Many currents in 1958 may have existed to make the effort
seem like "khaloymes" both in the sense of 'dream/vision' as well as
'nonsense.'  But in any case, the Weinreichs were not simply out of touch.

p.p.s.  Uriel's grandfather (?) was Tsemakh Szabad, a prominent supporter/
?founder of the original European YIVO in Lithuania.  He was also a renowned
public health physician.

- Eve Sicular

drummer/bandleader
Metropolitan Klezmer & Isle of Klezbos