RE: OT gypsy music

Brian Dichter [mailto:dbrian (at) enteract(dot)com] wrote:

>Not really Jewish music, but I found a dusty lp the other day by
David
>Romaine "It's Just the Gypsy in My Soul" on Mercury Records (Mercury
SR
>60032). I searced for awhile online but couldn't find any more
information.
>Can anyone suggest where I might find more information about David
Romaine?

I don't think this is off-topic. There are three David Romaines in the
Social Security Death Benefits Index, so he may be alive, or may have
died prior to 1962. He's not in my Local 802 (New York) 1937
directory.

"Gypsy music" was advertised at Moskowitz & Lupowitz's restaurant;
there
were a lot of Jewish musicians who played Hungarian Gypsy music,
usually
which had Russian Gypsy tunes as part of the repertoire. American Jews
also patronized Gypsy musicians.  This is all a thing of the recent
past, though, so it may soon be forgotten.

Paul Gifford