RE: Beethoven's "Jewish theme"

>Beethoven quotes a Jewish theme in one of his string quartets. I >believe
>it is the sixth movement (Adagio quasi un poco andante) of >opus 131.

The "Jewish theme" is--or, anyway, sounds like, for a few measures, "Kol
Nidre."  Not absolutely clear whether it's a conscious or unconscious
borrowing--or not a borrowing at all.

Your citation is correct--from what, for me, is the most sublime piece of
chamber music ever written.  (Notwithstanding that Wagner--who actually
wrote quite beautifully about it--was taken with it as well.)

--Robert Cohen