Re: Mitzvah--A thought for Erev Shabbat

I enjoyed robert's discussion of mitzvah as longing and connection.
Compare that to Solomon Schechters description of the "Joy of the Law"
in his Aspects of Rabbinic Theology. As we have gone from a people in
which ritual law was the norm to one  for whom the carrying out of
ritual law is the aberration,  the understanding of even the vocabulary
has changed. My complaint here is that many times people who should know
better avoid the primary meaning of mitzvah  when teaching uneducated
Jews.  There are not 613 longings or connections or even guidelines, are
there? Remember the scene in the film Ghostbusters when he says it is my
rule to never get involved with possessed beings, then she purrs, and he
says, it is more of guideline, really?  I wonder if it is the narcissism
of our age that we never ask what god asks of us, just how good we feel
when we choose to call on our higher power.  I am part of this post
scarcity culture, and claim no higher ground. All the same, I perceive
it as a   great change in  the Jewish religious climate. I am a baby
boomer, and I suspect our majority.  Our generation is now bereft of
rebellion.  Smugness does not suit us well.
Am I dour in this? Perhaps.  My apologies, especially as the New Year
revels beckon.
jonathan gordon