Re: Mitzvah--A thought for Erev Shabbat

While I understand and can relate to Jonathan Gordon's dour understanding of
the variable meanings of "mitzvah" (below). I'd like to add another
perspective.

Yosef Ben Shlomo Hakohen (formerly known as Jeff Oboler when he lived in
this country; now in Israel) taught me that the Hebrew word "mitzvah" is
related to the Aramaic word "tsavta"--to join or connect--and to the Hebrew
word for "tongs," which is "tsvat" (alluded to in Ethics of the Fathers, 5:8
or 5:6, depending on the edition's numbering).

So a mitzvah--though I share, certainly, Jonathan's understanding of the
word as meaning "that which is commanded"--can also be "an action which
connects us to G*d."

And so any mitzvah--whether it is tzedakah or study or prayer;

lighting Chanukah candles or Shabbat candles;

taking care not to (even subtly) mislead or deceive others--for example,
into giving you credit for something that you do not deserve, or by asking a
storekeeper the price of an item that you have no intention of buying; not
giving bad or ignorant advice (e.g., when you're asked directions that you
really don't know); not robbing others of their sleep (!) [all of these are
very specific violations of ethical mitzvot, on which I'll be glad to
elaborate if desired--or just read, and study, Zelig Pliskin's LOVE YOUR
NEIGHBOR--an elaboration of "Love your neighbor as yourself" as it is
exemplified in every parsha/weekly portion of the Torah]--

any mitzvah can be seen as an *opportunity* to be close to G*d--which is,
surely, what so much contemporary "spirituality" is all about!

(Rabbi Arthur Hertzberg once wrote, "If you want to be close to G*d, do a
mitzvah--any mitzvah.")

Indeed, my teacher Shlomo Carlebach, z"tl, taught that just believing in G*d
is a mitzvah (not always an easy one to fulfill? ...)--and that just
*wanting* to be close to G*d is, already, to be closer to Him.

Shabbat Shalom to all,

Robert Cohen