Re: Dreydl

My father says he remembers hearing the English version first somewhere
around 1945, probably a little earlier.  They sang in in Sunday school.
My first edition of Harry Coopersmith's The Songs We Sing (1950), has
the song in English attributed to Goldfarb and Grossman.  Interestingly,
in the preface Coopersmith thanks his assistant J. Grossman.  I'm
wondering if this is Sam's brother Israel.  The Dreydl Conspiracy grows!

Lorele

itzik gottesman wrote:

> The Yiddish "Ikh bin a kleyner dreydl" was first - I'm almost certain.
> In the yiddish lyrics the dreydl is made out of lead (the older
> tradition), and in english, out of clay. Mikhl Gelbart was the
> composer Samuel S.Grossman was the writer according to the Freedman
> Collection's database on line. It is a little confusing in that
> listing, but all the earlier recordings (in this case early 60s)
> credit Gelbart. I don't remember hearing the English version to the
> late 60s or 70s and we were singing the Yiddish before then.  Gelbart
> died in1966. ?ÝItzik Gottesman

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->