Fwd: gypsy caravan 2

--- Begin Message ---
Inna et al,

My husband and I saw the Gypsy Caravan 2 concert in Toronto at Massey Hall,
October 17. I agree, it was a great show. I've been an avid collector of Rom
music (particularly Balkan) and I knew that I would hear the real thing, not
the dreck that is played for the tourists. Maharaja was stunning, especially
the dancers (according to the New York Times review, one of the dancers was
male). Though there was a strong shtick element in the Esma set, she still
exuded that power and charisma. I'm glad she's finally getting the
recognition here in North America that's long overdue. However, my favorite
was definitely Fanfare Ciocarlia. I love Rom brass bands and they were a
group to experience. They were tight, energetic, and no "pop" sound to their
music. Please forgive me, but why are Canadian audiences so formal? During
the Fanfare set I wanted to get up and dance so badly that it hurt! I ticked
off the woman who sat next to me because I danced in my seat. Antonio El Pipa
and Company was very intense. I liked the guitar player and Antonio's moves.
It was difficult to get use to Juanita's vocals. If you have ever seen Latcho
Drom, or heard the soundtrack, a woman is singing in that very raw, coarse,
voice you described. It could be a characteristic in women's flamenco
singing, I don't know. Maybe someone can clue us about that.

Anyway, I did get my wish. After the show we left the theater, turned the
corner, and Fanfare Ciocarlia, accompanied by Zahir, the trumpet player from
Esma's band, gave a terrific street concert. I was so elated, and there's
nothing like dancing in front of brass people blowing their horns in your
face! As the roadies loaded up the bus, I wanted to hop on and join the
caravan. It was a wonderful night.

An aside: In 1998 we attended Balkan Camp, where Esma and her back-up band
performed and gave workshops. The "boys" co-ran the Rom/Brass Ensemble. All
of us had a very difficult time keeping up with the rapid pace and complexity
of the music. Overall, a very exhausting experience. KlezKamp and KlezKanada
were sedate by comparison.

Take care,

Roberta

--- End Message ---