Re: gypsy caravan 2

>My mother saw GC in Houston and said it kicked ass. She especially liked the
>romanian brass ensemble, and the dancers. She bought me a CD (of the brass),
>haven't heard it yet. she said there were 2 tubas and 2 euphoniums but no
>trombone. does anyone know, is this a musicologilogical thing or just the
>way the ensemble worked out reg. who they could find to play?

sounds typical of what I've heard of gypsy and balkan brass bands. There is a
New York balkan brass band, Zlatne Usted, with similar instrumentation, that
has even been invited to the annual brass festival in the former Yugoslavia. I
don't think that trombone has really made it to that part of the world. Why, I
can't say.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/