Re: Ha-sela ha-adom or Red rock (Israeli song)

At 12:14 PM 10/4/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello -
>
>A professor in the political science dept. at Amherst College is interested
>in information about the popular Israeli song Ha-sela ha-adom. She has a
>recording sung by Arik Lavie which we believe is from the 50s. We are trying
>to identify when the song first became popular and if at all possible the
>lyrics to the song. She is alos interested in the social significance of
>this song. I have searched the internet and the other resources I have
>available with not much luck.

The red rock (ha-sela ha-adom) refers to Petra. During the '50s, Israeli
teens would test their mettle by trying to slip across the Jordan to visit.
If they got caught, they got killed by Jordanian soldiers.

Others have already located the song in the early '60s, which exhausts
the little I know.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/