Re: What are the best research websites?

Matt Temkin wrote:

>     The large, 8.5 by 11 inch volume. The smaller but thicker volume is Old
> Jewish Folk Music, original released in English in 1982 by the University of
> Pennsylvania Press, now reprinted by Syracuse (new edition ISBN
> 0-8156-2868-4), and this time around is only in paper back. This new volume
> is entitled Jewish Instrumental Folk Music and is available in both cloth
> (ISBN 0-8156-3890-0) and paperback (0-8156-0691-5).
>     Old Jewish Folk music has the first two sections of a planed five volume
> work; Jewish Folk Music (1934), and Jewish Folk Song (1962). Jewish
> Instrumental Folk Music is only what would have been the third volume. This
> volume was never before published in full, an abridged section of this work
> was published in the Soviet Union in 1987. It supersedes the klezmer material
> in the earlier volume.

            Actually the 1962 Soviet publication, reprinted by Mark Slobin in
his1982
    book, which is available again now from Syracuse, was not the second volume
    of the five that Beregovski had planned.  It represented a selection of
songs, _nigunim_
    and instrumental pieces.  The planned second volume, as we write in the
editors' note
    to _Jewish Instrumental Folk Music_, "apparently exists only in an
unfinished
set
    of proofs held at the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research in New York.  It
consists of
    the introduction and the song texts, but the music itself had not yet been
stripped in for
    final publication."  Dated 1938, volume two "contains the Yiddish folksongs
left out of
    the published volume 1 of 1934" (xviii).

                Bob Rothstein
begin:vcard
n:Rothstein;Robert
tel;fax:413-545-5876
tel;work:413-545-0894
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Slavic and Judaic Studies and Comparative Literature;University of Massachusetts, Amherst
adr:;;741 Herter Hall;Amherst ;MA;01003-3935;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:rar (at) slavic(dot)umass(dot)edu
title:Professor
x-mozilla-cpt:;10000
fn:Robert A. Rothstein
end:vcard