Re: The Fate of WEVD-partisan opinion

>  But even purely commercial stations have some duties to
>the public, like doing community reporting and having a certain amount of
>"educational" programming, in order to renew their licenses. (This is often
>nominal, I'm well aware).

This was the main point I was trying to make previously. Thank you, Rokhl for
saying it more eloquently than I could.

I'm all for free enterprise and the laws of supply and demand, but we do have
anti-trust laws in this country and they were enacted in the early
twentieth-century for a good reason--to break up huge, monopolizing cartels.
I'm of the opinion that broadcasters' responsibilities to earn their licenses
were severely watered down during the Clinton years and will be even further
watered down even now. All I would ask is that broadcasters' perform a certain
amount of community service--which I believe they promised to do after they
were recently given for a very low fee digital broadcasting rights.

In any case, I disagree with Winston that we are trying to tell a businessman
how to run his business. The fact is that the stations are granted licenses to
use certain frequencies. I believe these licenses are granted by board members
of the FCC, who are appointed by our elected officials. If the broadcasters
owned the licenses or the frequencies, I wouldn't be asking them for some
community service. But they don't own the air--at least last time I checked,
they didn't.

Eliott Kahn