Re: The Fate of WEVD-partisan opinion

I launched an original, English-language, Jewish culture and identity in
Baby Boomer America show on EVD in the mid-70s ("Yedid Nefish"), which
continued for the rest of the decade.  It was made possible, really (aside
from organizational underpinning and a limited degree of corporate
sponsorship), by the then-extant requirement that stations devote some time
to community service programming.  (I no longer remember the exact
language.)  Since they had to give away some time anyway, I think EVD
figured, OK, let's give this show a chance:  sounded creative, would score
points with the Jewish community, etc.)

That community service requirement disappeared long ago--I thought (and it
would figure) during the Reagan presidency, but am not sure.  Once it did,
my show--which had devoted listeners who still missed it many, many years
later and which showcased new Jewish music as well as Jewish educators,
writers, artists, religious teachers, and other personalities (and ordinary
amcha folk, too)--would never have had a prayer of making it on the air.

--Robert Cohen