Re: What is Jewish Music redux?

In a message dated 6/11/01 11:51:29 AM, GRComm (at) concentric(dot)net writes:

<< Fred Hersh brings a
set of experiences to his performances of Monk's music that includes his
Jewish upbringing, whatever it may consist of (and I don't actually
know); so I suppose that on some fundamental level, that DOES make his
playing of Monk "Jewish music."  >>

I loved most of this posting, but I as a personal friend of Fred's (Hersch,
by the way), I find this part a little weird.  Fred was a classical pianist
until shortly before he entered graduate school, and I don't think Jewishness
has much to do with the intimate knowledge of Ravel, Debussy, Chopin, et al
that inform his arrangements and improvisations.  At some point I believe one
should just let Afro-Euro-American culture be the rich polyglot that it is.
Just my two cents.  -Hankus