Re: What is Jewish Music redux?

I admire George's bracing take on this subject--and his exulting in our
music's variety today ("Philo-Semitic music"--a great coinage!  Can I borrow
it?), but I differ with him in his first principle!  If one accepts Richard
Neuman's definition, which I've proferred before, that Jewish music is "the
music of Jews in a given time and place"--i.e., Jews know/determine what
Jewish music is--than we *don't* have to answer "Who Is a Jew?" in order to
answer "What Is Jewish Music?"  And in the case of any given piece of music,
you don't have to determine the Jewishness (or not) of the composer (or
transmitter, or adapter, or whatever) to get a sense of whether the music is
considered by amcha to be Jewish music.

This understanding parallels, by the way, a definition I read of folk music
generally--it may have been by the same Norm Cohen I've cited elsewhere, but
I'm not sure--as music which folk music audiences accept as folk music!
It's really a pretty close parallel, in fact.

A (related) footnote, btw:  I *don't* accept Pete Rushefsky's view that
"Non-Jews can determine for themselves that a music is Jewish, even if no
Jew agrees with them."  Richard Neuman's definition suggests that that's
almost exactly, 180 degrees (or is it 360?--I'm never sure) not so:  Only
Jews determine what's Jewish music.  Only you can prevent forest fires.  But
you don't have to be Jewish to love Jewish rye--or Jewish music.

Obviously losing it,

Robert Cohen

To be blunt, in order to