Re: because of mixed dancing

Though I, too, winced at the foolish and rather obnoxious statement
regarding the supposed cause of the wedding hall disaster, I must humbly
respond to sister Lori's post here.  For the fact is that a cosmology of
"cause and effect"--or, as it is usually referred to, reward and
punishment--is very much a part--a basic part--of normative traditional
Judaism.  (Read the second paragraph--after the "V'auhavtau"
paragraph--following the Shema.)  Obviously each of us believes what (s)he
believes (or tries/struggles to), and this belief in particular is very hard
for many of us Baby Boomers to subscribe to.  But to simply dismiss it as
Lori does is, I think, highly inappropriate in a Jewish context.

That being said, I certainly share Rabbi Lau's belief--he seems, btw, to be
a rather good-hearted man--that expressing this speculation (that the
disaster resulted from mixed dancing at the wedding) was inappropriate and
wrong--and I would add, even thinking it, in a sense, is wrong.  Because:

1) A secondary but important reason (for not saying it) is that his words
caused pain, and one's words should carefully be chosen to comfort mourners,
not increase their pain.  This may have been Rabbi Lau's rationale, though
obviously I don't know that.

2) An even more profound reason, I believe, is that although Judaism may,
and indeed (however problematically for some of us) does believe in reward
and punishment, the way in which that plays out in this world (and/or the
next?) is by definition in G*d's hands, and utterly beyond our
understanding.  To assert that one knows that B resulted from A (aside from
being an instance of logically fallacious reasoning by converse) is the
utmost arrogance--just as it is arrogant to assert, as others have in other
discussions here, that one knows what G*d wants or how G*d works.  The rabbi
who made this statement was, I believe, essentially denying, in that
statement, the existence of a G*d whose workings are beyond our
comprehension--which is the only G*d Judaism knows.

arrogant to assert that one knows why it happens--and also foolish to
dismiss any such possibility as ludicrous (though I understand why one would
wince from this particular explanation, as I did).  The Jewish-wisdom
response to the question why (in a spiritual sense) this, or any such
disaster, occurs (aside from the rigorous investigation that is obviously
needed, in a society that actually sets itself up for this sort of buildings
accident) is what one of my own rebbes frequently said about many things we,
and he, don't understand:

Who knows?

--Robert Cohen