From:  Abbi Wood [SMTP:acw24 (at) hermes(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk]
Sent:  Sunday, May 20, 2001 10:43 AM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant
Subject:  Nerdy question: Yiddish songbooks

Khaverim,

As part of my PhD research, I'm compiling a large inventory (currently
200+ items) of publications of Yiddish songs made during the 20th century.
However, quite a few books I've come across are undated. Where this is the
case, I've taken the approximate date given on library records, or guessed
from the content, but I'd be grateful if anyone could help me with
accurate dates. (I've appended below a current list of undated items.)

I would also of course be interested if anyone in the NYC area has any
unusual publications (ie unlikely to be in libraries) of Yiddish songs
which they would be willing to let me see, or if you have been involved at
any time with the publication of songbooks containing Yiddish material.

Thanks,

Abbi Wood

This is the list of songbooks with uncertain dates:

Chait, S. and Rosmarin, J. (c. 1934) Jewish Folks Songs. Montreal:
Federation of Young Judaea of Canada.

Cohen, E. S. (1924) Beloved Yiddish Folksongs, reprinted c. 1980 by Tara
Publications.

Colter, H. and Shreibman, H. (c. 1955) Jewish Youth Sings. New York:
Jewish Young Fraternalists.

Coopersmith, H. (c. 1937) Jewish Community Songster. Chicago, IL: Board of
Jewish Education.

Gelbart, M. (c. 1940) [gezang bukh far der elementar-shul]. New York:
Arbeter Ring.

Gelbart, M. (c. 1942) [lider gezungen in di arbeter-ring shuln lernyor
1941-1942]. New York: Bildungs-komitet fun arbeter-ring.

Hebrew Publishing Company (hibru poblishing kompani) (19--) [zeks
tzienistishe un folks-lider]. New York: Hebrew Publishing Company.

Kalb, A. I. (c. 1925) Song book of the C. J. I.. camps. New York: Central
Jewish Institute Camp.

Kammen, J. and Kammen, J. (c. 1950) Jewish theater songs: A collection of
popular song hits of yesteryear. New York: J. & J. Kammen Music Co.

Kinderbuch Publications (c. 1970) [lomir kinder zingen]: LetOs sing a
Yiddish song. New York: Kinderbuch Publications.

Kipnis, M. and Zeligfeld, Z. (n. d.) [folks-lider fun m. kipnis un z.
zeligfeldOs kontzert repertuar]. Warsaw: Farlag A. Gitlin.

Kipnis, M. (n. d.) [140 folks-lieder]. Warsaw: Druk M. Kupersztoch i M.
Kramarz.

Kipnis, M. (n. d.) [80 folks-lider]. Warsaw: Farlag A. Gitlin.

Kipnis, M. (n. d.) [60 folks-lider]. Warsaw: A. Gitlin.

Kisselgof, Z. (192-) [lider-zamelbukh far der yidishe shul un familie].
Berlin: Juwal.

Kultur-gezelshaft lekhn farband fun di yidn in Poiln (195-?) Spiewamy (Mir
zingen). [no place given]: Kultur-gezelshaft lekhn farband fun di yidn in
Poiln.

Loehr, Theodore (publisher) (c. 1906) The Grand Folio of Hebrew Music. New
York: Theodore Lohr.

Mlotek, Ch. and Gottlieb, M. (c. 1972) Yontefdike Teg: Song book for the
Jewish Holidays. New York: Jewish Education Press.

Rosenbaum, S. (194-?)[zingen mir: lider far dervaksene un kinder]. New
York: Tzentral bildungs komitet fun yidishe natzionaln arbeter farband.

Rosenblatt, H. (c. 1990) The music of Yossele Rosenblatt. Cedarhurst, NY:
Tara Publications.

Roskin, J. S. (c. 1988) Great Jewish Folksongs. Cedarhurst, NY: Tara
Publictions

Tara Publications (c. 1980) Great Jewish Classics. Vols 1 to 7.
Cedarhurst, NY: Tara Publications.