Re: Jewish Music Definition

>How about
> > "Avinu Malkeinu" sung to "Deutchland, Deitchland Uber Ales" ?
>
>I recently found a choral setting of a Hebrew text (don't appear to have
>written down what it was) to the tune of Deutschland uber alles - it was
>part of a piece, Gebet fuer den Landsherrn, written by Yossele Rosenblatt
>for the 80th birthday of Emperor Franz Joseph I.

Oh--I meant to comment on this example of Simon before.  The Nazi anthem
was, I am almost certain, based on/written to music by Haydn, so what you
discovered is not as strange as it seems.

Many years ago, a church on the Upper West Side in Manhattan played the
Haydn melody on its chimes--and was perplexed that some Jews in the
neighborhood expressed (naturally) great distress/outrage/etc.  They meant
it quite innocuously.

Oh, and of course I meant my reference to Luther, one of the really
dedicated Christian anti-Semites, sarcastically.  That's something that
would be conveyed by intonation but, indeed, drops out in e-mail.

--Robert Cohen