Re: Jewish Music Definition

In a message dated 5/2/1 2:39:53 PM, lubet001 (at)
maroon(dot)tc(dot)umn(dot)edu writes:

<<  Adon Olam can be sung to almost any tune
including Amazing Grace, at which time I'd submit it becomes Jewish music.

I agree with most of what you said, however I feel there are melodies that,
regardless which Jewish lyrics you might use, "Adon Olam" , " Ein Keloheinu",
etc, the music can never be considered Jewish. Can you set "Kol Nidre" to the
molodie of "Silent Night, Holy Night" and consider it Jewish? How about
"Avinu Malkeinu" sung to "Deutchland, Deitchland Uber Ales" ?

Isn't that somwhat like putting butter on a piece Kosher meat, it was
"Jewish" , but it "Ain't Jewish no more!"

<<, one of the big things among evangelical Christians these days is the use
of 'Jewish dancing' in their revivals.  (I've never seen it and don't want
to, but heard about it from an evangelical student of mine.)
But, as the song says,  "No, no, they can't take that away from me.">>

In the statement above, about the evangelicals, you state "they can't take
that away from me", I agree totally, and I don't want to take anything from
"them".

Best wishes,
Simon