Re: Jewish Music Definition

----- Original Message -----
From: <Klezcorner (at) aol(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: Jewish Music Definition

> In a message dated 5/2/1 2:39:53 PM, lubet001 (at)
> maroon(dot)tc(dot)umn(dot)edu writes:
>
> <<  Adon Olam can be sung to almost any tune
> including Amazing Grace, at which time I'd submit it becomes Jewish music.
>  >>

> I agree with most of what you said, however I feel there are melodies
that,
> regardless which Jewish lyrics you might use, "Adon Olam" , " Ein
Keloheinu",
> etc, the music can never be considered Jewish. Can you set "Kol Nidre" to
the
> molodie of "Silent Night, Holy Night" and consider it Jewish? How about
> "Avinu Malkeinu" sung to "Deutchland, Deitchland Uber Ales" ?
>
> Isn't that somwhat like putting butter on a piece Kosher meat, it was
> "Jewish" , but it "Ain't Jewish no more!"

Some (or many) prayers are sung to "traditional" melodies that have been
identified as coming from non-Jewish sources.  I guess that after a
generation or two, they have become "Jewish."

If there is any conclusion I've reached from similar discussions in the
maillist, it is that "Jewish music" resists definition.