Re: Oscar Hammerstein II

Dear Listers.

In a message dated 4/17/01 9:54:24 AM, rlcm17 (at) hotmail(dot)com writes:

>Bob, where are you quoting from?
>
>I'd always _assumed_ (woops) he was Jewish, in a purely formalistic,
>not-even-cultural sort of way.  But now I'm going to look into this.
>
>--Robert Cohen

I did as well--especially considering his Jewish partners in the business and
the number of Jewish lyricists out there. But I checked two of my sources at
home: Darryl Lyman's _Great Jews in Music_, which I have found
well-researched and usually trustworthy, and Gdal Saleski's _Famous Musicians
of Jewish Origin_, which is a little looser on who is considered Jewish.
Neither book includes Hammerstein--but neither book includes lyricists
either, only composers, conductors and performers. So the verdict is still
out. Hammerstein is mentioned only with his partnership with Rodgers, Kern,
etc. No mention of his also being Jewish is made. It will be very
disillusioning after all these years to find out that he was not. Anyone have
a good source to check on this?

Best wishes,
Steve

Steve Barnett