mues

I seem to remember, a long time ago, a discussion about the origin of
the word "muess" as a slang for money in some songs, I think.  I cannot
remember the general consensus, except that of German origin or a
corruption of Moshe.  I recently ran across a description of "mo-os
chittim", a fund collected by the rabbi and well-to-do members of the
community by going house to house to be given to poor people to buy
wheat to bake matsos at peysakh time.  Do any in our learned community
think this word could be the origin?

Lorele