Re: Roumanian Gypsy bass and processions

To Paul and Pete and anyone else interested,

Thanks for the interesting post, Paul.

Meanwhile, I wrote Speranta Radulescu, an eminent ethnomusicologist in
Romania who has worked with and recorded the Clejani lautari since the
1980s. I was interested in finding out, among other things, if there was a
term in Romanian for this "slap-bass" style of playing, and whether it is
indeed most characteristic of the area around Bucharest.
Those who read Romanian can find her responses immediately below.

Speranta says all she ever knew was the term used when she was a student --
"Bartokian pizzicato."
Also, she says this technique is used a great deal, but only in Muntenia and
Oltenia (southern Romania); in Transylvania the bow is used.

Best,
Sandra
________________
[from Speranta Radulescu:]

Draga Sandra,

Nu stiu exact... Imji amintesc ca in facultate il numeam "pizzicato
bartokian", adica asa cum cerea bartok...
Te sarut,
Sp.
_______
Da, Sandra, se canta mult in pizzicato bartokian, dar numai in Muntenia si
Oltenia.
In Transilvania se canta cu arcusul.
Scuza-ma ca nu-ti scriu mai mult, dar nu prea stiu...
S.
_______