Re: St. Petersburg Society

I'm currently writing an essay on the Petersburg Society and  the views of
its members on the creation of a national Jewish music. The introduction to
the below mentioned Tara reprint seems very interesting. I have been trying
to locate a copy in the UK but without result. I would be very grateful if
somebody could send me a copy of the introduction article, I will pay for
it of course but just cannot afford to buy the whole book right now.

Many thanks,
Gerben

>Eliott Kahn <Elkahn (at) JTSA(dot)EDU> wrote:
>
>> Curiously, the St. Petersburg Folk Music Society came to just such a
>>juncture in 1915. ...
>
>There are interesting similarities between the genesis and activity of
>the St. Petersburg Society for Jewish Folk Music at the beginning of the
>20th century and the Klezmer Revival at the end of the century.  The
>foundational myth of the Klezmer Revival centers around that famous
>question asked of its prophet Henry Sapoznik by Tommy Jarrell, with whom
>Henry was studying traditional American music, regarding the great
>number of Jewish musicians interested in early American music:
>"Hank, don't your people got none of your own music?"
>
>The prime figure of the Russian Jewish music movement was Yoel Engel
>(1868-1927), a totally assimilated Jew who graduated the Moscow Imperial
>Conservatory and started on an illustrious carreer as a music critic.
>Following are some excerpts from the introduction to the St. Petersburg
>Society collection recently reprinted by Tara Publications:

Gerben Zaagsma
Paul Robeson House B.3.2
1 Penton Rise
London WC1X 9EH