Re: mues

This explication of the word moos doesn't acknowledge that
the German slang word also originated from the Yiddish and
was assimilated from there into German "slang." That it might
have coalesced with the like sounding word for moss is irrelevant.
Money has little in common with moss except the sound of its name.

Languages can be notoriously promiscuous, but, in light of the
history of the Jews under German hegemony, gelt's Hebraic
Yiddish sibling should not be disinherited. There's a bottomless
pit of cultural and symbolic associations, usually derogatory,
and worldwide but most particularly in Germany, linking Jews
and money throughout history; it's curious that, in this case of
an actual etymological link, it's absent.

The word mues can be found in its native habitat in the
song of the same name performed by Adrienne Cooper
on her (together with Zalman Mlotek) Ghetto Tango CD,
performances appropriate to this season's remembrances
of Passover and the Holocaust.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->