Re: Healing

Responding to the message of <008401c09bcf$36bc0080$c313fea9 (at) kaufman>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0081_01C09B8C.27D87DC0
>
> As the debate rages on - concerning the Kol Isha Ervah issue, I'm still =
> surprised, and disappointed, that so few people  focus on the =
> fundamental premise of the problem.  In medicine, and in psychology, it =
> is common knowledge that for true healing to take place - one needs to =
> get to the CORE of the problem. In order to cure Cancer - we need to =
> kill every cancer cell in the body, because if we don't - it will =
> develop all over again.  In healing relationships we try our best to get =
> to the bottom line of what is causing the problem - because if we don't =
> - the same problem will erupt again, just like the cancer.
>
> Can we all agree that we have a serious problem here?  Can we all agree =
> that we need  healing? =20
>
> We need to get to the root of this "pathology".  Why are we wasting so =
> much time and energy on  minutiae? How much longer can this dialogue =
> continue poking around the surface?   It's like trying to heal Cancer =
> with band-aids.  If we don't understand why this problem is so tough to =
> resolve, - we will never heal.  It will never just "go away".
>
> I asked this question before - but no one answered me yet. (except for a =
> "diss" from Eric...)=20
>
> There are only TWO sexes in this world,  to the best of my knowledge.  =
> Is it OK that one sex has the power to make all the rules that bind both =
> sexes, and that the other sex has no say in that process.  For me it is =
> that simple, and the answer is either yes or no. If this is not the core =
> issue - then what is?
>
> Adrian, I hope you don't find this posting too "off-topic".  I'm =
> actually trying to hasten a "conclusion"!
>
> With much respect and anticipation for the full spectrum of opinions out =
> there.
>
> Shirona=20

I have deeply appreciated your leadership on this issue, Shirona, but I need to
take a tiny exception to a point you make here.  There actually are more than
two sexes.  There are people who have various configurations of attributes of
both the commonly accepted sexes and they often suffer for it, socially,
psychologically, and medically.  Obviously, they are exceptions, but so,
unfortunately, are Jews in the context of the big picture of 6+ billion people.
Such people are deserving of our rachmones.  This takes nothing away from your
point, Shirona, and I'm pretty sure, once reminded, you'll agree.

How's that for off-topic?  Actually, maybe not, when you consider the fuss that
was made in Israel over Dana International.

Be well and happy,

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American Studies
University of Minnesota
2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455