Re: sources on kol isha--and then some

It was I who, in a longer post, recommended these excellent sources on the
nature and breadth (or various breadths, depending on the authority) of the
kol isha restriction.

I seem to have deleted my own posting--I may have printed it out--probably
because I (foolishly) never imagined it coming up again!  Bob, if you have
the entire posting, I wish you would sent it to me.

I remember (I think) bracketing the original posting with two comments that
I'll share again:

1) I myself have little patience for the kol isha restriction--among other
reasons, because in my experience and knowledge, women (certainly in this
century, in this country) are far more likely to feel "uncontrollable lust"
listening to men whose voices stir them than the reverse--far more.  Vide,
in a secular context:  Sinatra, Elvis, the Beatles, the Stones, virtually
*every* rock group, Tom Jones (!!!), etc., etc., etc. And vide examples from
personal experience that I won't elaborate on.

2) That being said, I wince at the narrowness and colossal, even proud
ignorance displayed by those who are angry at the prohibition (or what they
understand of the prohibition) and/or disdain it.  As with much in our
magnificent, awesomely deep and rich Torah (I'm not saying, and don't
believe, that kol isha exemplifies this tradition at its richest or
deepest--far from it), studying this torah (micro sense) can be rewarding
and, at least, enlightening even if one is put off by it.  That's why I
originally recommended the sources Bob re-posts here.  Saul Berman may or
may not have said that this halacha should simply be junked--I'm very
interested to know, and will try to confirm with him, if he did--but his
exploration of the concept as elucidated in the halachic literature
(see--*and read/study* below!--is, at least for me, a lot more rewarding,
and deepening of one's Jewish rootedness, than simply saying (as some are on
this list; if Berman said it, it wasn't simply), "This offends me--Let's
junk it.  Out it goes!"

Zalman Schachter--the rebbe and zaide of so-called Jewish Renewal in our
time--once said that if a halacha or a part of Torah offends you or you have
problems with it, don't just discard it--study it, wrestle (as Arthur Waskow
is wont to say) with it.  (That's a loose paraphrase, but the gist--likely
more eloquently put--is exactly right.)  His adherents--I'm sorry to say not
with any obvious/evident/public rebuking from Reb Zalmen--rarely if ever
follow that principle, at least in their public gatherings and
congregations; they just junk what they're uncomfortable with (e.g., to pick
just one example, the condemnation of male homosexual coupling in the
Torah--plus, certainly, much in re women and men).  I can, in many cases,
understand that impulse, as I understand that someone (esp. a woman singer
who's been disadvantaged by it) might feel anger about the kol isha
prohibition.  (I'm often angry myself at the narrow self-righteousness with
which it's defended--all too similar, I'm sorry to say, to the narrow
self-righteousness with which it's sometimes attacked.)

But the Torah is a tree of life, according to our Bible and prayerbook, and
the branches have to stay connected to a tree.  Which doesn't mean that the
branches don't have to be cleared and cut, continually, as part of the
maintenance and nourishment of the Tree. (I don't think Orthodoxy is very
much in touch, today, with this imperative.) Our Torah tree, though, needs
to be tended to with care and loving, thoughtful deliberation--not in the
"SMASH CAPITALISM" spirit of the Weathermen--echoed, right down to the
all-caps (which some always seem to think underscores the self-evident
righteousness of their position) in some recent postings.  "Scholarly" notes
(I am sorry that one poster saw fit to surround the word with quotation
marks, suggesting ... what?  That scholarship when considering a matter of
Torah is, ipso facto, bogus?  Or only bogus when the poster thinks the
matter not worthy of discussion?  What if another poster--it would not be
I--thought the *objections* to kol isha not worthy of discussion?  Would
that make scholarship, say, about the sociological dimension of this law's
origins and applications bogus?  Referring to scholarship in demeaning
quotation marks is not how to discuss, or approach, Jewish scholarship on
this, or any list--or in any medium or forum, for that matter).

That was quite a digression.  Let me resume:  "Scholarly notes, footnotes,
and quoting other people"--that's the full (dismissive) quote from another
poster, minus the internal demeaning quotes--*is* how we tend our Torah tree
of life in our tradition--or it is certainly one of our principal ways.  In
all of the ways we do so, we need, I think, to manifest that awe, reverence,
and humility that one poster referred to (or two of these, at least)--but
that I don't see or hear in many of these postings.

The Torah, our tradition teaches, is a tree of life--for those who cleave to
it.  I hope for all of my fellow Jews on this list that we can all find ways
of staying connected to our Torah even when parts of it anger us, or
distance us, or leave us alienated or uninspired, or do not call to us, at
any given time, to observe them.  Speaking in an ugly, demeaning way about a
piece of the Mesorah (Tradition)--even a perhaps very problematic piece like
this one, and a perhaps tangential or marginal piece--undermines, I think, a
relationship of awe and humility (those are the two words that the poster
used)--just as speaking in an ugly or demeaning way to a friend or
relationship or life partner undermines *that* relationship.  I wish people
would stop doing it--stop speaking in that fashion--even if they want to
express anger or forceful disagreement or rejection with respect to a
particular teaching.  (In this case, they will not find a defender of that
teaching in me!)  And I wish, too, that our fellow Jews would feel a
fraction of the obligation that they would feel before speaking out about
almost any other field of knowledge or practice to *learn* something about
the teaching they're rejecting.  That's why I suggested these sources to
begin with.

May each of us come, in time, to experience and understand the Torah as a
tree of life that, as our prayerbook says of G*d, lifts our spirits, heals
us, and frees us from everything that constricts us.

--Robert Cohen