Re: contemporary liturgical folk music

I have no more or less insight than Ari with respect to what Jews will be
singing 100 years from now--I don't have the slightest idea.  And such
predictions--or, as it were, counter-predictions--are usually, I'd venture,
foolish.

What we _can_ do is observe what Jews are singing, and davening to, in our
(various) lifetime(s) and wonder, thoughtfully and open-mindedly, if we can
project forward.

The melodies of Shlomo Carlebach, z"l, were--and in some circles and by some
champions of high-art liturgical music, still are--dismissed as so much
"(summer) camp music":  gornisht ditties, nothing more.  Astonishingly, Macy
Nulman's otherwise fine ENCYCLOPEDIA OF JEWISH MUSIC, published in the
mid-70s, doesn't even have an *entry* for Shlomo, whose melodies even then
were being sung by Jews all over the world.  But it did have many entries
for numerous composers of cantorial or "art" music settings whose music is
virtually *never* sung, or recognized, by Jews *anywhere* in the world.  But
Cantor Nulman, along with many of his colleagues, deemed this music worthy
and Shlomo's unworthy.

Now, well over 40 years since Shlomo started "composing" melodies, and,
sadly, 5/6 years after his death, his melodies are sung ever more widely,
from one of the Jewish world to the other.  And many melodies in the "neo-"
Hassidic style Shlomo inspired--by such composers as Shmuel Brazil, Abie
Rotenberg, and Baruch Chait--have also become classics of Jewish liturgical
and para-liturgical music.  So have several of the Hassidic melodies of Ben
Zion Shenker of Moditz.

Will Debbie Friedman's melodies, and others in that more lyrically American
style, enjoy the same shelf life?  Who knows (as Shlomo was wont to say)?
But they're certainly being sung far more widely today than when _she_
started composing, a quarter-century or so ago.  And, via both the medium of
recordings and such conclaves as CAJE conventions, Jewish retreats of
various sorts, Hillel conventions, and even Federation annual meetings,
they're spreading _beyond_ her own origins in the Reform movement and that
movements' NFTY, etc., summer camps.

These are just some musings without a bottom line; somewhat more developed
reflections on the same phenomenon will be available in the compilation CD
I'm producing with David Shneyer--halevi it should be out this (secular)
year!!

And my thanks, too, to Ari for his provocative thoughts and subsequent
re-considerations and further musings.

--Robert Cohen