Re: romancing the shtetl, another long reply

On Thu, 04 Jan 2001 14:58:33 -0500, you wrote:

>Based on these thoughts regarding the romanticization of the shtetl, I
>believe our struggle is, as modern klezmer and/or Jewish musicians, to
>attempt to present our music devoid of stereotype and romanticization to our
>audiences. The question is, in our present day market driven culture where
>image is everything, can we make a committment to do this, and still get
>gigs and sell CDs? Maz'l tov to any of us who try! Because market share
>shows that audiences DO buy the shtick, they want the romantic image, not
>the real thing. Not that any of this will keep me from trying, of course.

but what's the difference as far as *playing* goes? "if it sounds good, it is
good" as you said above, and I agree. so how does one play a song that
romanticizes (not romances -- that means something diff'rent :) the shtetl? how
does one play a song that doesn't romanticize? does it even matter, from a
musician's standpoint -- especially a musician who plays music because it
sounds good?

in short: could you restate what you just said in practical terms?

ah, i love online debates :)

keepin' it real,
yakov.
http://www.kobyland.com
cartoon network mp3s, art spiegelman, funny quotes