Re: Fwd: Yiddish short story for klezmer film sought

khevre,
While it is not exactly on the same topic as described below,
Chava Albertstein's film dealing with elderly Yiddish poets
in Israel, some of whose poems she set to music and sang
on her CD with the Klezmatics, The Well, is a work that Dan
Katzir (and the rest of us as well) should see or, at least,
be aware of. I'm not sure of the exact name of the film. She
showed it a couple of  years ago at Klezkamp when she
performed the repertoire from The Well with the Klezmatics.
I think I heard that it has become available for purchase
and screenings.

While not specifically involving klezmer music, The film
deals with music based on Yiddish poetry and there is a
sequence dealing with an Israeli musician relating and
reacting (sympathetically) to Yiddish culture beyond the
stereotypes.  And whether or not the music on The Well
CD is,strictly speaking, klezmer music (after all, it IS the
Klezmatics),  it is Yiddish music of the highest quality.

Nokhem-Leyb Friedman

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->