unsubscribe

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of Helen Winkler
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2000 11:26 AM
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Re: coceks sirtos and lungas

Paul Gifford wrote:

"But back to another possible Gypsy-Jewish dance connection that Helen
raised: at the one Gypsy wedding in Bucharest I attended (that of the
daughter of my friend Nicolae Feraru of Chicago), some men danced a
solo dance while the women were dancing a circle hora (they were away
from the women dancers). This was not a hora lautareasca. They
stretched out their arms, bending to the sides and downward, with
very little foot movement, which was not connected to the rhythm of
the music. I also recall one or two women dancing this way, but it
seemed to be mainly a men's dance. I'm not familiar with Hassidic
dancing, but from pictures, etc. (or maybe I'm thinking of _Fiddler
on the Roof_), some of it resembles this kind of dancing. Comments?"

Got an answer to this from my Romanian dance friend but nothing too
revealing:

"Regarding the dance that Paul described... I have never encountered
one that looks like that.  From his description it does sound more Jewish
however I would not discount the Greek influence which is strong in the
southern
and eastern (along the Black Sea) regions.
Sorry I don't have any more info... but will keep my eyes open!"

So the saga continues.

Helen