Re: coceks sirtos and lungas

Budowitz Website: http://www.budowitz.com

I have no idea. I've often wondered why odd meters never took hold in
klezmer music, when there is so much of it in other Ottoman based musics.
Coceks are often in 9/8 as far as I know. The Jews of Eastern Europe favored
singularly 2/4, and the occasional "Krimer" tants meters of 3/8 (which we've
chewed on before here - the 3/8 horas of jocs  grew out of the 7/16
Moldavian/Wallachian Hora Mares) The Jewish dances were simply not as wild,
more introverted, staid and, perhaps mystical. The dances with more
complicated meters require more complex body-oriented movement patterns
which maybe just didn't fit into the mindset of the Jewish dance. The
Turceasca is virtuosity for virtuosity's sake as Paul mentioned. It's a
Gypsy phenomenon, much more wild than your average Jewish virtuosic music -
fast, complex and flashy. These are not typical qualities that you find in
klezmer music in that degree. But the subdivision of the beat is similar to
the Jewish Bulgar, so there is a (rather vague) similarity there....That's
as much as I can say. The whole thing is kind of puzzling really. Josh