Re: coceks sirtos and lungas

I will forward this question to a friend who is an expert Romanian dance and
see if she can shed some light on this.  I can't comment as my experience
with Eastern European Jewish dance so far consists of 1 video, lots of
reading and cyberdancing.  I do remember reading in Beregovski that the sher
migrated from the Jewish community to the Romanian community and that the
name changed in the proces to "srayer."  Have never come across this name
again.
Helen

"Joshua Horowitz" <horowitz (at) styria(dot)com> wrote:

 > In spite of that, there seems to be a connection to the  Ottoman Lunga
 > (called Sirto by Greeks). The globalization, i.e. watering down of
"foreign"
 > forms has been happening for a long time.

I have read somewhere that the _longa_, a form in Turkish art music,
came from Romania. I know little else about it, and the one or two
recordings I have of a longa (one by Mohammed El Aqad) don't seem to
have anything "Romanian" in them.

But back to another possible Gypsy-Jewish dance connection that Helen
raised: at the one Gypsy wedding in Bucharest I attended (that of the
daughter of my friend Nicolae Feraru of Chicago), some men danced a
solo dance while the women were dancing a circle hora (they were away
from the women dancers). This was not a hora lautareasca. They
stretched out their arms, bending to the sides and downward, with
very little foot movement, which was not connected to the rhythm of
the music. I also recall one or two women dancing this way, but it
seemed to be mainly a men's dance. I'm not familiar with Hassidic
dancing, but from pictures, etc. (or maybe I'm thinking of _Fiddler
on the Roof_), some of it resembles this kind of dancing. Comments?

Paul Gifford