RE: Pre-war European Recordings

Do people on the list know of Michael Aylward in the UK who has done tremendous
work
investigating Pre-war European Recordings of Jewish Music on microfilm of old
record
catalogues held in the UK National Sound Archive. He has discovered an almost
complete
set of catalogues in German, Polish, Yiddish, and Russian issued by the Vienna
and St
Petersburg branches of the Gramophone and Zonophone companies for the period
1903-1915.
He has approximately 200 catalogue pages listing recordings of Jewish Music -
and this
is only a small part of the overall picture.  He has plans to research other
archives
and has unearthed amazing possibilities.  (He is not Jewish but learned Yiddish
and
Polish to aid his research)  On another front, he was sent a book by a friend
in Poland,
called 'Rescued Music' by Professor Marian Fuks.  He is working on translating
this book
into English from Polish and a publisher in the UK is interested in publishing
it if
they could find an American co-publisher.  Does anyone on the list know
Professor Fuks
or this book?  Could there be interest in the USA in co-publishing this book.
It is of a
general nature, not a musicological discourse, and has several inaccuracies,
(which
Michael is verifying) but contains some unique material on Jewish music in
prewar
Europe. Would anyone like to know more about the work that Michael is doing?
Geraldine