Re: Isle of Klezbos Review

You can go crazy getting caught up with authorship and titles in this music.
I think I remember the title for that Cm tune on "Dukes" as "Bubbe's Freylekh
(can't find the LP)," but when it came time to record it I asked Max what to
call it and he suggested "The Epsteins."  he credited the tune to Peshe
Melnick, the father of his old piano player.  On the other hand, just last
week (when in London) I saw the first two sections of the tune in what Isaak
Loberan (a wonderful musician from Chisinau, Moldova who was active in
Keshinev and now lives and teaches in Vienna) said was a collection of old
Ukranian and Bessarabian klezmer tunes.  As for the tune that Julie calls
"The Epstein's Theme," Max personally took credit for that one, and may very
well have made it up, although the second section is also in Bessarabian
collections.  On the other hand, maybe the Epsteins' tunes simply got into
the public domain really quickly.

Regarding the first tune, this is the style that my uncle Jerry used to call
a "New York Bulgar," the name he use to use for Bulgars without triplets
(motivically more like a freylekhs or what Zev Feldman calls the "core
repertoire").  The term might be a Philly thing; I never heard a New Yorker
use it.  --Hankus