re: "the goldene medina"

Just remember that this phrase--which is often and characteristically used
in immigrants' songs sarcastically rather than celebratorily--e.g., in
response to the 'streets not (after all) being paved with gold'--also got
re-interpreted to refer to a country (ours, sadly, and even more so--*much*
more so--today) in which gold--money--rather than, e.g., learning, piety,
kindness, good works, etc.--was the measure of all things.