Re: Dancing the slow hora

This is not a scholarly response, but I actually think that Brandwein's
"leading the beat" is masterful, and part of what makes his playing so
exciting.  Dave Tarras' playing is, of course, incredible, beautiful, and as
you put it, stately, but sometimes I prefer the wildness and passion of
Brandwein.  I just wish Brandwein had been able to get along with people a
little better, so that we might have a more prolific body of recordings to
compare with Tarras'.

            Cantor Ken

<<I think Owen's exactly right -- and I think his "leading the beat"
identifies a problem with Brandwein's playing that you don't get in, for
example, Dave Tarras.  I think Brandwein's "time" is often ambivalent or
slippery.  I'm not sure he knows exactly how he wants to play the thing.
(Henry may have a more technical view for us.)  It *feels* right for it to
be stately, but perhaps one of the true historians on the list has a
scholarly response.>>